I am so glad that fall is finally here with it's beautiful clear, sunny days, Carolina blue skies, no humidity…absolutely perfect weather for getting outside and registering voters. We still have two more weeks!
All reports are that North Carolina has registered more new voters than any other states. And we will need them all. While the polls, in general are looking good, we are pretty much tied here. If we can pull out a sweep for President Obama we can make the difference again in the Presidential election. And he may have strong enough coattails to sweep all the other statewide offices. After this year, you all know how much that matters. We need a Democratic Governor in North Carolina, and a Lt Governor, like Linda Coleman, who is a strong supporter of women's rights, and who is running against a Tea Party candidate who is actively engaged in the war on women.
So please, do what you can to set aside a few hours each week from now until November 6th to help us: get as many folks as we can registered to vote
get as many voters as we can to the polls
make sure that they don't get prevented from voting by all the organizations that will be out in full force trying to suppress the Democratic vote….
If you don't know what you can do that fits your time, skills and energy…just ask…I am great at finding just the right thing for every person. 😉
Here are our priorities for this week:
1. Take a minute to visit our new, improved website at www.durhamdemwomen.org You will find so many cool links…you can sign up for Durham Women Vote there. You can download Obama Straight Flip cards in English or Spanish, for Durham and every other county in North Carolina.
Check out the West Wing video on our Voting Info page to see why the Straight Flip card is so important. In North Carolina we have the opportunity to vote for Sam Ervin IV to fill on the State Supreme Court. His vote could make a huge difference on important issues that are coming up -- like whether these new anti-democratic electoral districts will hold, and what happens with charter schools. So let's make sure everyone knows to Vote Obama. Vote Straight Democratic. And Flip over the ballot to vote for the nonpartisan judges races.
2. Take an hour or two after work to Register voters. Wednesday evening at 5:30 at Broad Street Cafe. or Saturday at 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM or 4:00 PM at Broad Street Cafe. or Sunday at 2:00 at 500 Watts St. Or any day, anytime from the OFA office at Heritage Square Shopping Center, 401 E. Lakewood (at the corner of Fayetteville St)
3. Spend Thursday evening with a great bunch of women, reaching out to other women. Write letters, make phone calls, share stories. 6:00 - 8:30 at Colony Hill Clubhouse, 3060 Colony Road, Durham 27705 RSVP at email@example.com
4. Join us at Pridefest Saturday, September 29 at Duke East Campus. We still can use more folks to help us staff our booth and register voters in the 12-00-3:00 slot. Contact Sondra @firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
5. Cook a dish Monday, October 1. Help us feed the organizers who are working so hard to help us win. Contact Helen email@example.com to find out how you can help.
6. Find a staging location for GOTV in your precinct. OFA is looking for a staging location in every precinct in Durham. If you know of a place that would work -- an empty office, a nice garage, a generous person's house -- please call Shehn (pronounced like She-hon) at 919-518-4729.
7. Attend an event in your neighborhood. Just visit https://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_simple to find one near you.
8. Host a letter writing party for your friends and neighbors. Call Cathy at 919-696-1292 to find out how to get started.
9. Walk Your Dog Against Romney on Oct 13 at the Durham Armory. Get a Flyer for the local event. Go to gooddogbadromney.com to learn more about DogPAC.
10. Your choice. Just come on out. We're counting on you. All of us. Cause all of us are in this together.
See you in the streets!
Durham Democratic Women